Monday, July 24, 2006

Idol here, Superstar there

There are time when you feel like growing up faster, and there are time when you wish you were born later. Sometimes, I wish I was born a few years later, into the years when idols competitions like Singapore Idol and Project Superstar are in!

Haha, there is a certain part in me that wants to be famous. And if I were 5 to 6 years younger, I can take a shot at fame at the Campus Superstar! Afterall, the winner Zhiyang comes from my alma mater - Chinese High. Pout.

I enjoy singing and performing actually. Oh yah, it goes back to primary school as well, when I partners Shijia and Jiaqi and a guy classmate (oops sorry I can't remember who's that) for our school talentime. Then was pulled into the choir by my music teacher and I remember having to wear very ugly make-ups and checkered shorts to perform. Yucks.

It was fun at Chinese High. My throwers senior were all very enthusiastic singers. And we garnered all the talentime solo singing competitions for all the 4 years I was there. There was Yinghao, who was apparently the son of Bao Nana, a female singer. Then there was Junyang, also the Student Council president and could sing like Jacky Cheung. We were always amazed at how his adam apple vibrated as he sang. He won it for 2 years consecutive when I was sec 2 and 3.

I attempted to ursurp him in sec 3, but I screwed up my prelims so badly that I didn't qualify for the finals. Anyway, the talentime in Chinese High back then was very concert like, held at night in our Kah Kee Hall in conjunction with Chinese New Year Celebrations, if I remember correctly.

When all these ex-champions graduated, it was up to me to upkeep the winning tradition of the talentime for the Track & Field throwers!

I had a very keen competitor that year, Keith Lee. He was able to hit the high notes effortlessly, much like Zhiyang if you ask me. But he screwed up his prelims and didn't qualify for the finals, which is really a pity. Lost touch with him already, like many of my secondary schoolmates as he went to RJC. Last heard he was second for the RJ talentime, losing to some opera-trained girl. Hard luck.

Anyway, his failure to qualify left me with an easy task and I won duly, singing William So's "Jiu Ai Hai Shi Zui Mei" But for some reasons, the school decided to shift the talentime to morning during my year, and because it was CNY celebrations, the colour of costume was very limited. Alot of us wore white and khaki, which is so duh because it is exactly the school uniform colours of the school.

First year at NJ and I screwed up the talentime, qualified for the finals but didn't get a placing. Kinda sore over it, because I thought I deserved better. But I didn't bother to take part in J2, because I was an obsessed rower who can't see beyond rowing and gyming. =P Anyway, talentime at NJ was a small deal because you gotta pay to watch, so even winning it and you still won't be very well-known. *bleahz*

But I can feel that my voice is slowly but surely deterioriating. Lack of practices, lack of nutrition, and lack of stage appearances, I reckon I will tremble like hell to perform publicly now. Had chance recently, thanks to an intro by Shihui for some Red Cross Vibrant Blood, but I didn't turn up for the finals because I couldn't be bothered to look for the minus one accompaniment. Got a Hall 8 talentime champion to show though, if it counts, but the level of competition was... =D

Sometimes I do daydream on how my life would have been if I give a shot at such shows, at the peak of my prowress. But then again, I have signed that freedom away, and I won't be able to sign up with any companies IF, A BIG IF, I can emerge triumphant. Back to being a couch potato and admire the talents of others. But there was once a superstar-wannabe here.

No comments: