Sunday, February 11, 2007

Back for good

It's confirmed, I've gotta give RSAF a back for good reply before the end of February to indicate when I will return to report for work.

Option 1: 3 days after last day of exams - 29th April 2007.

Option 2: 1 day after FYP presentation / submission, whichever is later - Unknown date, presumably later than 29th April.

Option 3: As and when I desire, but need to apply for no pay leave and give reasons to justify.

Now, let's weigh the pros and cons.

Options 1 and 2 mean that the money will start rolling in earlier, albeit at an A-level officer pay scale because the full results are not going to be released until June 2007 by NTU. But something is always better than nothing, isn't it? Haha.

The cons? Well, it means going back to ALD at PLAB, as an OCT, be ready to be arrowed to do miscellaneous work, including shredding papers, photocopying documents, self checks for the branches etc. Been there done that for IA, not a totally satisfying experience. The good things may be - having little responsibilities and can take some time off work earlier everyday to do sports - gym, soccer etc.

But one thing I must complain. Because NUS results are released in May, my NUS counterparts will be emplaced in June to the graduate pay scale while I will still be labouring as a A-level grad, my efforts (though minimal) look set to be underpaid, and it's deterring me from going back earlier.

Which brings me to option 3! Cons - obviously lesser money in the bank account. Pros - can relac one corner and go for a grad trip, and avoid becoming an underpaid worker.

Hmm but I haven't decided where to go for grad trip. First was Korea, then my FYP mates are going to Taiwan/HK, the NUS dudes are going to Japan, and Zaiming mentioned he is going to Western China and he is ready to play host if I join him, my family wants to go Taiwan as well, and I would like to go around the Asean neighbourhood - Cambodia, Vietnam, and Thailand (now a little less attractive after our recent spats.)

Haha, if I have all the time and money, I will go everywhere!! The lousy thing is - I have to indicate the countries that I will be visiting if I state holidays as a reason to apply for no pay leave. How?

Shrugz.

Actually, I think I will take option 1 in the end, then compute my pro-rated annual leave (~12 days i believe) and use my FLEX benefits to buy more leaves, before embarking on any grad trip. Sounds like a win-win situation: have some income before going for a trip, and save the hassle of having to confirm any destinations now.

No comments: