Saturday, February 24, 2007

Inflationary pressures at work, long before the GST hike set in

It is normal for hawkers to raise their prices during the CNY holidays because they work throughout this festive period to serve up food, but this year, they aren't reverting back to the pre-CNY prices. The increase is permanent!

Although the GST hike to 7% will not be effected in another few months' time, the hawkers at the market at my place have already taken the liberty to raise their prices. The vegetarian bee hoon was $1.50, now itz $2; lor mee and laksa was $2, now itz $2.50.

Erm, now my GST offset package can't pay for 7 years of increased GST because the absolute cost of living has risen!

And an article in ST today says "inflation surprising tame in January." Try doing the same report for Feb after the concrete announcement by Lee.

Actually, I dun even know why am I writing this. Can't really blame the merchants since itz a legitimate one-time excuse to increase prices across the board thanks to the govt angbao. Just grumbling.

Now I've lost the last $1.50 bee hoon I know of. =|

No comments: